The Week the Mice took me Hostage

I have to tell you...it has taken me 4 days of "scary" to write this post.  Now I am laughing but trust me when I say...it wasn't always this way.






So I will admit, I am in a bit of a funk.  Everything seems overwhelming at this time.  I am 50 years old.  A woman at that...limited by love and finding a partner.  Wondering where her career will go in the last working years.  Finances....OMG...living alone is extraordinarily expensive even with a good job. Especially for a woman who thought going back to school in mid life and having better credentials and taking out student loans was a good idea (perhaps not). Not wanting to burden her children with these thoughts and not having a partner to turn to ....well recipe for FUNK!




Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.....I GOT TAKEN HOSTAGE BY MICE!!!!!






YUP!






I live in an older apartment building.  Quaint...coved ceilings, wood floors, gas fireplace...larger than any new condo.  I live 3 blocks from the beach.  But the problem lay with me taking the "cheapest" apartment in the building for its size.   Perhaps I didn't think through that the back door that led to my back door which led out to the garbage/recycle area.






So about twice a year...I get some unexpected visitors.






But during a funk...the last straw is an unexpected furry creature who is not paying any rent!




Now just to add to my FUNK...I am sick...on the couch...not able to go to my bed....BECAUSE...


I think there is a mouse in there....MY bedroom.






So I feel safest on the couch.  And for 3 VERY long days...I hear them "scratch" and "knaw"...and at one point when I got up to find the sound I throw something at it (where exactly was he/she going to go?) they just looked at me with beady eyes!






Now then...I really started to feel sorry for myself.  If I had a man...he would take care of these mice...I wouldn't have to do this all alone.  Just unwrap those onion layers!




My mouse traps weren't working...I was trapped on my couch as they devoured my kitchen.  And then...I TOOK control.
 




I walked into the kitchen and heard one of the little "sweet things" in my lower cupboard.  I slammed the door shut.  Blocked it with a heavy object.  The second "jumped" to hide in a drawer.  I slammed it shut.






I must admit....I felt a little bad.






And for the next 12 hours I heard clawing...And then I went to work.
 


I am home now.  There is no clawing...but I am really scared to open those places.


Maybe they escaped and there will be nothing there.




So I went for a walk.  I blasted the music.  I danced in the street.  Juke Box Hero
made my life better. I am pretty sure the people who saw me dancing thought I was a little crazy.  I didn't care.  I was coming out of my funk!






And I could walk into my kitchen and do my dishes.  And after all...it is me that pays the rent.


And maybe tomorrow....if I still haven't heard any clawing....I will be brave enough to open the doors and find out if they fell to my demise or managed to escape.













Comments

Popular Posts