Is There a Limit on Reinventing Yourself?

Re-Inventing yourself.  Just how many times to we get to re-invent ourselves.  Is there a limit? 


I think I have given that a little bit more thought since I turned 50 this past month.  There was a time in the last decade when I thought the sky was the limit. 
 I come to the table with a wealth of experience and then...suddenly, I looked around the table.  And I see this absolutely amazing group of people.  And well quite frankly, I have at least 15 years on them! Scary!


Now as an adult developmental psychologist I spent years teaching against "ageism".  We learn from wisdom.  We learn from expertise.  But...


The reality is we get to that age and the doubt sets it. They are more beautiful, younger, have more energy...it start to get us down.  And then I said STOP!


In the last 15 years I have gone back to school and done three degrees.  I have backpacked through Europe (by myself for 5 weeks).  In the previous 15 years, I raised a family.  Why on earth would I think the next 15 years would limit me?


Time is precious. 
None of us know if we have tomorrow.  But we can have hope and plans. 
So what did I do...I signed up to finish my "Project Management" designation.  I started looking at my future instead of concentrating on "just today".


Just today...always has its place.  Stopping at my favourite coffee shop to read a book is my moment in "just for today".  Taking a walk on the ocean can be a moment in "just for today".  But I can still move forward in my life, in my career, and pass along my knowledge and learn from those who I am lucky to work with who are younger and also possess knowledge. 


Together...we make the future.

Comments

Popular Posts