The Wedding Dress...Box 1 - Part2

I slowly pull the wedding dress out.  It is encased in a thin film of plastic and it as white today as it was on the day I wore it 30 years ago.


The wedding dress has a story.  While many brides dream of walking into boutiques and mothers and fathers cringe at the price of a dress...my wedding took a turn.  I was young.  I had never poured over wedding magazines.  I suppose in the back of my mind was an elegant, designed, simple but with a train, meant for me to look like the most beautiful bride for a "moment".


And then I had the "offer".  A wonderful friend of my family, dying of cancer, wanted to make my dress.


I still remember my hesitation.  Giving up the boutique professionalism for the simplicity of a gown sown at a simple sewing machine.  Not by even a professional seamstress but just by someone who had learned to enjoy a craft. 


I knew what I was giving up and then I began to ponder what a gift someone was willing to do for me.  I can still remember those feelings 30 years later. Feelings of torn, feelings of love, feelings of obligation, feelings of knowing what this would mean to me forever (forever in this wedding dress). 


I pull it out of the plastic.  I hold it against me.  The simple brocade in the neckline.  The lace spreading up through a V to gentle end mid neck. 

I pull out a picture.  It is absolutely beautiful.  It is simple, and pure.  It may not have lasted through a marriage of a lifetime, but when I pull out the picture, I am reminded of a woman who in her last days on this earth, gave me a gift...the gift of love.

Comments

Popular Posts