Age, Beauty and Money…And What does Life Mean Anyway?

 

Much has been written in the media about the "post 50 invisible woman". It has been said that women of a certain age fade into the woodwork or fall out of favor as they age. Well

that is not completely true.  I mean take a look at some of the hot 50 something women in Hollywood: Michelle Pfeiffer (57), Christie Brinkley (61), Heather Locklear (54). Of course, as I look longingly at them and their bodies, I silently swear off carbs and I desperately want their money to do whatever it is they do. 

But the reality is that I am a “regular” almost 50 woman.  Pretty in a cute way. Forever trying to take off the baby weight, but in all honesty…I have always had curves and I will probably die with curves.  I am just your normal run of the mill woman who is also lucky to have a good job, an education…more than so many women on this planet.  Yet, here I am feeling dissatisfied. 

I am no different than many women or men it would seem in Western culture.  We just murmur…what now?

So it began on Friday night.   Maybe I was feeling a little bit of that.  Dissatisfied, mind unable to turn off. As I “left the office” Friday night, work seemed to infiltrate my thoughts.  I was planning reports in my mind, directions for projects…and my inside voice was yelling…”STOP the Music!”  I am still young enough to have fun. I wanted to stomp my feet “where is my fun!” Saturday could not have been more opposite.  I did not want to get out of bed even though every time I fell back into a restless sleep, my dreams were borderline psychotic.  Well it seemed that way to me.  It seemed like everyone that I had come across in life showed up in my dreams.  I think at one point I might have even had a baby (I know, at my age….very highly unlikely and completed weird).

I finally headed out about 8 pm Saturday night just looking for some normality in my weekend.  A slice of pizza (I was out of food – oh ya…there goes the “I am giving up carbs promise”) and I thought a tea in a coffee shop might help me settle.  I took a look at the reports....put those away and then just randomly searched pretty well everything…and finally headed home.  Yep, 10 pm, only two hours out of the house.

But it wasn’t a useless trip.  I ran into some people and had some fun conversation.  I checked out hotels for our coming family reunion.  And I can say I got out of bed on a Saturday! But sometimes it makes me think I might be still be fading into the woodwork.

So here I am on Sunday.  I must admit, the desire to stay in bed has dissipated.  I have found my way to a Sunday brunch (yep…still no food).  And I am writing.

I think when it comes right down to it…life is just not always “interesting”.  Sure last week I took a cooking class in making “gourmet pizza” but one is not going to that every weekend.    In another week, I am signed up for a “painting class”.  They have promised me I can paint an “impressionist” painting.  In an hour an a half ….for $25 including materials no less.  They obviously have greater hopes than I know I am going to achieve.  However, for $25 I will have art for my wall.  Who knows, I could be the next Picasso.

Life is funny.  Is it a western world phenomenon we must do something “important” all the time. But you the reality is that I did important things. I got caught up on sleep.  I treated myself to brunch out.  I got caught up with friends.  I even think some guy from the coffee shop was checking me out!

No, I will never be a “hot 50 something Hollywood babe”.  But who says they aren’t sitting home on Friday night or wishing they could stay in bed all Saturday.  And while the entire world may worship them, my life is not that bad. I actually experienced conversations with people whose eyes lit up when they saw me.  And in the recent words of Jane Goodall (the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees – hey if you don’t know her…try “google”) who happened to visit my hometown recently, “Each day, every one of us can make a difference”. 

Something tells me age, beauty or money does

not play into that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts