I am STRONG, BEAUTIFUL, FEARLESS and WISE


“I am strong, beautiful, fearless and wise”.  Oh, I how I wished I believed in that quote.  Now I do not want to diminish the words because the reality is that I believe in them.  Moreover, some days they are truer than others.  However, other days I look in the mirror and see my imperfections and wisdom is the last word that I would use to describe me.

Tonight I was out with a friend and she was amazing for my self-esteem.  She told the server how wonderful I was.  I was helping her out.  However, the only reason I could help her is that I have been down that road before.  The reality is that when we can help each other it is because “we have been there and done that!”

Then I look back.  I remember the road that it took to get to this point.  Frankly, it probably had a few moments where I kicked a pillow sideways across my living room and I can guarantee there were tears.  But those moments have made me who I am. 

Life is full of kicking pillow moments. 

My favourite is in my 3 inch heals I wore as I kicked the stupid leaves on my street and muttered so loud the people could have heard me if they dared to open their doors.  I was mad.  Life was not going my way.  I did not know how to fix it. I thought that life really would never get any better.

That was the past.  It did get better.   And to be honest there were a few days in there that it was worse.  We are a reflection of the good and the bad and the ugly.  I think what my life would be if it were only good.  Would I own one of those beautiful Victorian houses with a porch slider?  Would I spend my nights in my perfect living room, cascading light for reading and a roaring gas fireplace.

Or is it meant to be me.  Today.  My past rolled up with smiles, heartache and laughter.  A woman who thinks no one is watching when she moves to the music as she walks down the street; or she doesn’t care. The woman who has decided the bus is a “cool” and “cheap” mode of transportation and that standing in line means often meeting very interesting people. 

I suppose there are some of us that want a plan.  For me the plan is knowing I don't know tomorrow but have the possibility of anything. 

I will probably never own that “perfect house”.  The bus will be my transportation.  I have an education in place of both of those.  I have experience because traveling to a new country is worth the money I might take to my deathbed.  I am beyond marrying the man of my dreams and celebrating our 50th anniversary or even our 25th.  I joke about a decade per man…lol. 

None the less…at the end of the day, I am lying on my couch.  I spent my weekend with my amazing friends, children and grandchildren. 

None of us wears special crowns or holds special powers.  I even have a granddaughter who faces life with special challenges and who at the end of the day reminds me how lucky I am to be part of her life.

Life is not a storybook or fairy tale.  It is just life.  The ins and outs…the imperfections are what make me wake up in the morning with a smile.  Not because it is perfect, but because I do not know what is around the corner. And that makes me happy!

 

Comments

Popular Posts