We are All "Princesses" and "Princes"


Image result for princess crownA wise woman said to me today. “There are two types of women in this world, the woman that know that THEY are a "princess" and the women who have forgotten that they are a "princess”. 
.............“El” an older woman who is dear to my heart who panhandles on the streets of Victoria

 There is a joke in my circle of friends.  I am the “Princess”.  In fact it has even gone so far as to influence my on-line presence.  My blogging page is “ifonlyiwerequeenoftheworldsaidshe”. And my byline is “Queen Jamma” and if you twitter with me you can find me at “FairyStoryLand”. 
But before you jump to the conclusion that it is entirely due to my love of “nice things, pretty nails, and the feel of silk on my body” (all of which are true), I want you to understand that it is much, much more.

As I was chatting with El this morning, the conversation turned to the difficulty she was having raising money as a panhandler on the streets of Victoria, BC.  I have known El for almost 10 years.  I don’t think she has aged at all.  She looked 65 years old ten years ago and she is a replica still.  El doesn’t live on the streets and she doesn’t do drugs or drink but she can’t make ends meet.  She has also been in the community of those less fortunate most of her adult life and it is the only life she knows. 
I have always stopped and chatted with El.  Sometimes I give her some money and sometimes I don’t have it to give.  She understands.  She always compliments on what I am wearing and one day she brought me these knee high go-go boots, white Patton fake leather,  that she was absolutely certain I could carry off (I am not telling you if I ever wore them...lol)

But as we spoke this morning I told her I had a blog.  And I told her my blogging name and on-line
persona.  I told her that my in person persona is also the same.  My friends refer to me as princess and I give them full permission to throw it back in my face when I get a little (or a lot) too big for my britches.  El laughed.

In all seriousness, the only reason I said that I want to be Queen of the world is that I can honestly say I want everything to be right with this world. I know I could do so much good!  My heart is broken over what my daughter goes through every day taking care of a beautiful baby girl who was misfortunate enough to have a crappy, broken genetic piece of information. 
 
My beautiful granddaughter Layla who reminds me of amazing moments
When I am queen I will fix that gene for her and all the other beautiful children and their families. I want El to have people smile and talk to her as they walk down the street because she wants little in this life, but respect is one.  Although giving money to El will help her daily life, the need to panhandle is not what defines her as a person.  And when I am queen of the world, I want to take my four children, their four spouses, my six grandchildren and I want to go to Disneyland!

Me and my six grandchildren enjoying Halloween (October 2015)
 
Yes, life is more than charity and giving to the poor.  Life is really about recognizing that we are all important.  That we all fill of role.  For El, she takes that quote that started this blog, and she does her best to pass along to women everywhere, that they are never to forget that they are “princesses” at heart.   
I promised El that I would write her quote in this in my blog but I didn’t really need any encouragement because from the moment she spoke the words, she had me formulating the story.  For El's words gives me a reminder of my  passion for life; the purpose of embracing everyone for exactly who they are at this very moment in time.  And to all of your princess, and for all of you men who are "princes", for you, I am grateful.
Image result for appreciate everyone for who they are

 

Comments

  1. Beautiful thoughts, and I'm glad you're friends with this lady. She sounds very remarkably wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lizzi...Somehow I think you and her would be friends. She is lovely just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I am a princess, pleased to meet you Queen Jamma! Love the picture of you and your grandchildren at Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer....I am so glad to meet another Princess. I challenge us to make other women find their inner "Princess" too...thanks for reading...love jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts