Reposed from July 2015...

I know....in some ways the last post seemed anti climatic. If it did it was because it had dulled with time. It was a time that I barely kept my head above water. Pieces of that time will surface in my writing going forward but all I can say that in the days that existed between the moment I received the news until that post of yesterday, my life has been forever changed.

Only one month after that fateful day I flew across the country expecting that I would be spending my last moments with Layla. To say I was brokenhearted does not cover it. I was a woman who was afraid to let go of her breath, afraid that in letting go somehow everything that meant anything would disappear.

Time stood still in some ways that month I slept in the hospital room next to my grandaughter. I was the last voice she heard every night and the first whisper she heard as dawn broke. And every moment that I held her, I took that moment and wrapped it in my heart forever.  My grandaughter gave me the greatest gift of all. She gave me the ability to appreciate the NOW! To hold it. To savour it. To value it. Knowing that we have no right to expect all to be the same tomorrow. All we have a right to. Is the gift of now. And never should we throw that away

Comments

Popular Posts